Monday, July 21, 2008

Burn Notice Season 1

I recently "acquired" and watched Burn Notice season 1 after hearing tons of critical praise for the series. This show is so entertaining. I love the attitude of the main character, and the supporting cast is fun.

Synopsis in 25 words or less: A spy gets "burned" from his organization, and is trying to figure out why. Winds up in Miami and gets help from some old friends.

The basic format of the show is that every week Michael gets a new case which he has to solve with Fiona and Sam using their fancy spy experiences. And then over the course of the show there's also the story of his attempts to figure out the who/what/where/when/why he go burned.

The best part of the series is Michael's attitude about everything. He's kind of irreverent about a lot of things, which makes it very enjoyable when he's sort of sarcastic. I think I'm using these words wrong, but I'm not sure of a better way to do it. His "spy tips" are remarkably interesting and entertaining, and almost make me think I could have a go at being a rather bad spy. The action is good, and while I don't care really why he got burned, I am very excited now that I know Tricia Helfer is connected to it, because frankly she rocks my socks.

Only downsides to this series are I don't really like the relationship between Fiona and Michael. I love Fiona, and I like Michael, but together it just doesn't work for me, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because they both look a little funny to me. I think Michael's face is too gaunt, maybe. But really, I think Fiona should move on a bit, and I think Michael is kind of too determined to be alone. Of course that's why all of his interactions with people are so funny. I'm half expecting him to get paired with a precocious child of some kind this season, just to see how he deals with it. That might get a little trite though, I have to say.

Also watched the first ep of the 2nd season, and it's still going strong. Definitely good summer TV if you can get it!

No comments: