So yesterday Jenny, Ryoko, and I went to this yukata party. For those of you who don't know a Yukata is like a summer kimono. I think we might have been the only foreigners most people have seen in yukata, but it was fun. Especially all the stares and nearly killing myself in my geta (kimono sandals, for lack of a better term). But the strangest part was that at the party they had this big arm wrestling competition, which was really interesting until they asked me to compete. Clearly it was foreigner appeal because let's be serious, I'm not a big guy, and I certainly don't understand Japanese. Anyway, i have to put on a scary wrestling mask, so no one knows it's me. Granted my yukata has giant Japanese chess pieces on it so you'd have to be a retard to not know what's up, but we'll let it slide.
Anyway i go out there and just sort of stand around and try and look strong without passing out from nerves. Finally when it's my turn to compete, they put me up against the second biggest dude in the whole competition (who just happens to be wearing a giant panda hat). Seriously, the guy went on to second place. He was gracious enough to let it look like I had a chance in hell for a few seconds, which my ego appreciated it. Apparently I was a big hit though. Everyone kept coming up to me and saying "good job" and shit. And it got us invited to their monthly party next month. My six-degrees-of-seperation just exploded all over japan. It was slightly depressing I didn't talk to more people, but when my range of questions are "What is your job?" and "What are your hobbies?", only with no ability to follow up, conversations lag. But there's always next month.
11 years ago
1 comment:
it's amazing that you've become more asian than me.
Post a Comment