Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Emmy Dream Ballot 2009

So apparently they're announcing the Emmy ballot on Thursday? These things sneak up on you. It's no secret that I LOVE the Emmy's, because they are the awards show I know the most about. I'm a TV aficionado (as Kristen, Brian's sister-in-law, now introduces me to people). So if they are coming up, then I want to list some of the people I think deserve to be nominated for each of the categories.

Best Drama Series

Mad Men
Lost?
Friday Night Lights
Battlestar Galactica

From what I hear, Big Love and True Blood are also great, as is Breaking Bad. I'm kind of behind these last few months. But I did finish season 2 of Mad Men, which was excellent, and Friday Night Lights had its best season EVER. Last season was kind of crap with the stupid murder subplot, but everyone was on this season. It was such a joy to watch every week. BSG is over, and should have been nominated ten times over. The last half of the fourth season I thought was more consistently strong than the series had been since season 1. Yes, there were some missteps but it was great. Lost really sucked me in with all the time travel stuff, but I'm not sure it deserves an Emmy yet. I feel like they should give it an emmy at the end of it's run. Overall I'd love for Friday Night Lights to win, but BSG can't be nominated again.

Best Comedy Series

Better Off Ted
30 Rock
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
United States of Tara
Pushing Daisies

I hate the Office. I say this having never actually watched the office. But still I hate the office. I don't like Steve Carell, and I could care less about Jim and Pam. And in fact I kind of hate all sitcoms, except these four. Better Off Ted is black comedy brilliance and deserves to be recognized for it. 30 Rock is hysterical and has deserved its wins. I'm not sure BBT and HIMYM deserve an actual award, but they should be nominated. Definitely BBT over HIMYM, if I had to choose. Tara was new and innovative, although not exactly Laugh Out Loud funny. Not Weeds, last season was depressing and dark and frankly not that funny.

Best Reality Program

Amazing Race
So You Think You Can Dance
RuPaul's Drag Race

Top Model will never be nominated because it's garbage. Runway has been off the air too long I think. Race was fantastic this year, a true return to form. Dance is always good, although I still think season 3 was the best I've seen. Certainly this season isn't doing me any wonders. I don't think Drag Race will ever be nominated, but it was such a GREAT reality show. It had all of the pieces a good reality show needed, and it was moving. When Ongina announced he was positive? Insane (although in hindsight probably staged).

Best Actor: Drama

Kyle Chandler
John Hamm
Ian McShane

Other than that I don't know. Some people will say Olmos, but I never really enjoyed watching him. Chandler is freaking incredible in FNL and deserves a nomination, if not the whole freaking award. John Hamm is of course amazing. Ian McShane probably won't be nominated, but holy hell he is the best part of that show. Kings as a whole was weak, I admit, despite my love of it, but every scene Silas is in is Great TV. Other than that, who else is there? Anyone from Lost I feel should be "Supporting", and even then I can name only one character I would actually nominate. You'd think with all the TV I watch more would jump out at me.

Best Actress: Drama

Connie Britton
January Jones
Elizabeth Moss
Mary McDonnell

Any of these women deserve it, and if you don't agree, just watch the freaking shows. Each one of them was amazing to watch. I feel Big Love would round out the category, but again, behind. Glenn Close was also very good in Damages, but as a whole Damages was better last season.

Best Supporting Actor: Drama

Michael Emmerson
Bryan Batt (Sal from Mad Men)

Whoever else they nominate, Michael Emmerson deserves it. He was incredible to watch. While I love Mad Men, I didn't think any of those guys did great, although I could go with a nom for Vincent Kartheiser. Maybe also Taylor Kitsch from FNL.

Best Supporting Actress: Drama

Christina Hendricks
Adrienne Palicki

I don't know. That's all I've got. I loved Christina's performance so much I can't suggest others. Adrienne did a good job of showing the shit Tyra had to fight. Katee Sackhoff wasn't so bad on BSG, and I really liked her ending arc. Same with Kate Vernon. I should probably put them on here.

Best Actor: Comedy

Lee Pace
Alec Baldwin
Zach Levi
Jim Parsons

I would love for Lee Pace to win for Daisies, but I doubt he will. I also doubt he'll be nominated but oh how he should be. He and Chenowith MAKE that show. Baldwin is of course hysterical, hence his past win. How awesome would a Zach Levi win be? He'd give Chuck renewed energy, and he does a really good job in the show, so it wouldn't be undeserved. Really though, if Jim Parsons is nominated, he SO deserves the win. Without him on BBT, the show would die. If Tony Shaloub or James Spader are nominated, I'm sending a bomb. Just saying.

Best Actress: Comedy

Tina Fey
Toni Colette

If Toni is nominated, I'd think she'd be hard to beat, as she's playing five different characters, each different but amusing. And she can play humor and drama all in the same scene. That takes real acting chops. Tina Fey is freaking hilarious, and I wouldn't be upset if she won.

Best Supporting Actor: Comedy

Neil Patrick Harris
Michael Urie
Keir Gilchrist

I stole these from Low Resolution, but I agree with all of them. Neil Patrick Harris has been nominated numerous times and a win on top of his hosting gig would be amazing. Michael Urie deserves a nod, as he was the only watchable thing on Ugly Better (well, him and Amanda, but I'm getting to her). Keir did a great job as a gay teen dealing with his mother's shit, and he deserves a nom just for that scene where he burns down the shed.

Best Supporting Actress: Comedy

Kristin Chenowith
Portia de Rossi
Jane Lynch

Kristin deserves it, as she was far and away the best thing about Pushing Daisies. Every scene she was in was excellent. Portia is hysterical on Better Off Ted, and that makes me happy. I didn't watch all of Party Down, but I love Jane Lynch in everything she does.

So that's it. Not full lists by any stretch, but my ideas on names that shouldn't be ignored. We'll see how right I am.

No comments: