Friday, July 17, 2009

2009 Emmy Nominations

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES

  • Big Love
  • Breaking Bad
  • Damages
    Dexter
  • House
  • Lost
  • Mad Men

Where the fuck is Friday Night Lights? Or even Battlestar Galactica? Hmm. I would replace House with either one, and I'd be willing to replace Lost and Damages with Friday Night Lights. Not that any of these aren't good Drama series, but Friday Night Lights is just SO GOOD. And BSG deserved something after 4 seasons.

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES

  • Entourage
  • Family Guy
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • The Office
  • 30 Rock
  • Weeds

I've never seen Flight of the Conchords, and I'm biased given my hatred of the Office, but I would have included Big Bang Theory on this list. And more to the point Chuck. Entourage needs to die, I'm done with it. I watched a bit of the first season and never saw the appeal.

Outstanding Reality Competition

  • The Amazing Race
  • American Idol
  • Project Runway
  • Top Chef

I didn't bother to paste the other Reality competition because I don't watch it. I fear Runway has been gone too long to win. Race just had an awesome season, so it'll probably win for the 64th time. Top Chef is good but not worthy of an Emmy win. Idol needs to die.

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA

  • Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
  • Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
  • Hugh Laurie (House)
  • Gabriel Byrne (In Treatment)
  • Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
  • Simon Baker (The Mentalist)

Again, I ask where the hell is Kyle Chandler? I knew McShane would never get nominated but he was good. I like Hugh Laurie, and he's good on his show, but I want fresh meat. I really need to check out Breaking Bad.

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

  • Sally Field (Brothers & Sisters)
  • Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)
  • Glenn Close (Damages)
  • Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: SVU)
  • Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men)
  • Holly Hunter (Saving Grace)

Yay Elizabeth Moss! Happy Dance for Mad Men. Where the hell are Mary McDonnell and Connie Britton? Sally Field? Really? Bros and Hos needs to end, even if I do love Scotty and Sarah. Except for Glenn Close and Elizabeth Moss, this category is boring. Hopefully FNL will get some love SOME day.

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

  • William Shatner (Boston Legal)
  • Christian Clemeson (Boston Legal)
  • Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
  • William Hurt (Damages)
  • Michael Emerson (Lost)
  • John Slattery (Mad Men)

Yay Michael Emerson. If you replaced the Boston Legal names with someone who actually deserves it, I'd be happy with this list. If Shatner wins I'm going to be very, very, very angry.

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

  • Cherry Jones (24)
  • Rose Byrne (Damages)
  • Sandra Oh (Grey’s Anatomy)
  • Chandra Wilson (Grey’s Anatomy)
  • Dianne Weist (In Treatment)
  • Hope Davis (In Treatment)

Sandra Oh didn't DO anything this season on Grey's Anatomy. And Rose Byrne I think was much better last season. Not having seen In Treatment, I'm going to go with Chandra Wilson. She wasn't as strong as last year, but she'sreally the only watchable part of that mess lately (occasionally Callie is good, but I'm so done with Izzie).

LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY

  • Jermain Clement (Flight of the Conchords)
  • Tony Shaloub (Monk)
  • Steve Carell (The Office)
  • Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
  • Charlie Sheen (Two & a Half Men)
  • Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

Yay Jim Parsons! Boo Tony Shaloub and Charlie Sheen. Where is Zach Levi on this list? Why hasn't Monk ended already?

LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

  • Julia Louise Dreyfuss (The New Adventures of Old Christine)
  • Christina Applegate (Samantha Who?)
  • Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Show)
  • Tina Fey (30 Rock)
  • Toni Collette (The United States of Tara)
  • Mary Louise Parker (Weeds)

Having never seen New Adventures of Old Christine I'm not devastated by any of this. I'm glad Toni Collette got a nomination, and I hope she wins it.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

  • Tracey Morgan (30 Rock)
  • Jack McBrayer (30 Rock)
  • Kevin Dillon (Entourage)
  • Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
  • Rainn Wilson (The Office)
  • Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men)

Neil Patrick Harris, all the way. I would have liked Michael Urie to get something, but I'm not surprised he didn't. Tracey Morgan isn't the best part of that show, but go Jack McBrayer, who is the third funniest thing there (next to Baldwin and Fey). If Kevin Dillon wins in place of Jeremy Piven, I will throw something at the TV. And why is Jon Cryer supporting if Charlie Sheen isn't? Aren't they BOTH the Two and a Half Men?

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

  • Jane Krakowski (30 Rock)
  • Kristin Chenoweth (Pushing Daisies)
  • Amy Poehler (SNL)
  • Kristin Wiig (SNL)
  • Vanessa Williams (Ugly Betty)
  • Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds)

Kristin Wiig is hysterical, but KRISTIN CHENOWITH! My other two picks would never have been nominated, even if I think they're funnier than Elizabeth Perkins on Weeds. All in all I support this list, although VDub wasn't as good this season, but that's not so much her fault as the shit writing on Betty.


No comments: