Friday, March 27, 2009

A breaking point of sorts

It's no secret to anyone that has ever spoken with me, or read this blog (although everyone that reads this blog has spoken to me, so...) that I love TV. I get so excited to go home and watch a new episode of these shows that I have grown to love. And there is actually a great deal of good TV on at the moment, as well as several shows that aren't so great, but that I've watched for the last 3,4,5 years and watch despite their lacklusterness.

And this has turned into a problem for me, because there just aren't enough hours in the week. I leave home at 8 in the morning, sit in traffic for an hour, work from 9ish until 6ish (and lately 6ish means 6:30/7), and then I get home and I have to figure out dinner, and make time to get my mom changed. So in the end I have about two/three hours a night to watch TV. The recent realization that I need at least 7 hours of sleep a night to function also puts a damper on TV Time. Weekends are largely up in the air depending on how busy I am, and if Brian happens to be in town.

The problem here is that there are a ton of shows I want to watch simply because I do not have the time anymore. Right now the best I can do is stay current on a handful of shows, and put off another several to catch up on some random empty weekend. I make time every week for How I Met your Mother and Big Bang Theory, Housewives, Betty, 30 Rock, Lost, and Dollhouse. I used to make time for BSG and Kyle XY, but both of those are gone for good (thoughts in another post). Kings just started, which I am in love with and now reviewing in an online blog. Greek is starting up again soon and I want to watch that. And then I'm so far behind on Chuck, Damages, and Gossip Girl, not to mention Mad Men and Dexter, which I didn't even get to this season.

And then there are things like Heroes, and Grey's Anatomy. I've watched both of these shows for a long time, and I actually do have a lot of brain power invested in them, but I just don't have the time for lackluster shows. I can't sit and watch Heroes thinking "Maybe this week it will get better" because every shitty episode has literally become an hour of my life I'll never get back. I sit here thinking "I just saw through 40 minutes (60 if I watch it live) of complete shit, when I could have been watching *insert better show here*" And as I get more tired with life, the more shows I just give up on. Grey's has been the latest casualty, although I think my interest in Sarah Connor has also waned. Heroes I think is the most upsetting to me, becasue I really want to like the show. I was trying to hold out for until Brian Fuller came back (which would have been this week's episode) but it was next to impossible. All the characters are painful to watch anymore, and it's very upsetting that the plot isn't living up to the potential that I see for it. I sit there thinking "well, this would be awesome if they had changed this one part" or "Wow, this would be so cool if all these actors didn't suck horribly." It's disappointing, which is worse than just bad. When a show isn't even fun to bitch about, you know it's time to stop watching it. Especially when there is such a plethora of good TV.

So that's kind of where I'm at. As a TV lover I feel a little guilty, but also relieved. I may not be able to comment on The Mentalist, or Castle, but I also won't have stress because my hard drive is becoming over-full. My goal is to catch up on Chuck next, and then once I do that I have to watch me some Buffy and Angel, because those discs have been sitting on my bookshelf for two months now. I'll get around to the other shows eventually, if I can.

Oh, and of course my World of Warcraft addiction has started up again. Nothing like giving myself MORE shit to do.

1 comment:

test said...

ok i have to disagree regarding terminator. i think this is an incredible show. i gave up desperate housewives though and just found out about edie :o
also re heroes, you should still watch it so we can talk about it, cause even if it's not good, it has moments of greatness (ie tracey strauss) and it's the show i LOVE to hate and i think you do a bit too ;)