Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Soooookie


I'm embarrassed that I'm writing this post. You see, I swore to myself I would never watch True Blood. First, I saw the unaired pilot and thought it was boring, and second, I despise the recent obsession with all things Vampire. I loved Buffy, and overall think vampires are kind of cool, but Twilight offends me, and its overwhelming popularity offends me even more. Because of that, I was just going to swear off anything that involved fangs for a couple years until the Twi-hards quieted down and everyone realized Kristen Stewart actually can't act her way out of a paper bag.

But sadly, I'm also a whore for peer pressure. If I hear people around me, whose TV opinions I respect (or at least tolerate. I'm looking at you, Adrik, for your Heroes watching ways) going on and on about how great a show is, I will give it a fair shot. So I bought (yes, actually PAID MONEY FOR) the first season of True Blood on iTunes and decided I'd start catching up on the plane ride.

Fucking Hell, I love it.

(I almost said "I was sucked in" but the punnage gave me indigestion this early in the morning.)

I'm not sure what I like about it, exactly. I'm not a huge fan of Sookie, although I don't dislike her. I'm not a huge fan of Bill, although hearing him say "Sookie Stackhouse" over and over again is a pure delight. Jason is sex-on-a-stick as Lafayette says, but watching him fight over these moral issues was interesting. Tara and Lafayette are both great characters. Tara's no nonsense is hysterical, and seeing that she's actually complicated is refreshing. Lafayette's AIDS Burger scene is one of my favorites. And while she's only a guest part in the first season, Maryane looks like she'll be fun. But I love Michelle Forbes in anything.

But the way these characters are written, and the storylines they are put to, are so interesting. The whole murder mystery of the first season took a back seat to exploring this new world. Watching Bill's vampire trial was cool, and seeing how the world would react to vampires is kind of interesting. I don't care for the whole effect of being staked, cause it's a little too gory for me, but in general I'm really digging this show and I cannot wait for the second season, which I hear is even better.

So I owe credit to Adrik and to TV Talk Podcast for getting me hooked. Thank you for showing me a great new show. This almost absolves Adrik of that Heroes debacle ;) I've started getting Season 2, and will probably tear through it this weekend. There go my plans of finishing Tsubasa Chronicle once and for all.

Sidenote: I love 13 episode seasons. They are much more condensed, leading to better storytelling, and they're easier to catch up on. Unless you're episodic, it's just too hard to drag a story arc over that many episodes. Not undoable, mind you, just very difficult.

1 comment:

test said...

a thousand apologies for dragging you kicking and screaming through the last season of heroes, i will watch the new season and bear the burden alone ;P
however im so pleased u like true blood ! it's my fave fave show! wait for the wackiness of season 2