Because really, had it not been for a certain facebook wall message I received Saturday morning, I never would have caught up on Heroes. And I'm still trying to decide if I'm sorry that I did or not.
On some level, I'm glad that I did, because I really do want to like this show. That was always my problem before, because I was watching it hoping for something great and instead getting something unwatchable. I watched 18-21 over the weekend to catch up, and 18 and 19 were more of the same crap, but things started to improve 20-21. Not improve drastically, but it was certainly watchable. I don't know how to put it exactly. I guess I can't shake the feeling that had these episodes been in season 1, they would have been "OK" but when you put them next to the last season and a half of complete shite they shine. Then again, maybe I've just fallen out of love so much with the series that nothing it does will win me back.
However, a great way to start winning me back is to kill off the characters I hate. Namely, Flashette. It was the first time I cheered for this show in years. I knew as soon as Parkman lifted off the ground that this crap was a dream and she was toast. Well, that's a lie. First I had a panic attack that they gave him another power (to compliment his SUPER POWERFUL psychicness (since WHEN?) and his randomly-acquired, ridiculously-convenient/lazy future sight). But then I realized she was a gonner, and I was so glad. I actually like the actress from Friday Night Lights, but they never gave her anything valuable to do in this series. And there were just too many characters for me to care about them.
Another great way to win me back is to kill off characters I like in a good way. Good bye Tracy, you were cool. Your ice power was so underused, and I really liked how you went out. I'm not having the nerdgasm that Adrik did, but I liked the scene. I'm a little fuzzy on why she froze herself. When she defrosts, will she just become hunks of person? Or did she transform her body into solid water so that it was ice? Cool effect, but I get so caught up in the particulars.
I had a feeling Micah was Rebel, which is a plot twist I can at least respect, even if I don't overly care for his character. PS - Yay puberty. At least they didn't just forget about him like they did muscle-memory-girl. I didn't hate the Hiro/Ando storyline, as Hiro was kind of cute with the baby. Why can Ando shoot red beams, though? And at least they gave Hiro some power, so he's not completely useless. Teleportation was too powerful anyway.
Mama Petrelli kicked ass, I have to say. I really enjoyed her attitude the whole way through. You know she's a force to be reckoned with, and I cannot wait until we get her backstory. Peter, on the other hand, was boring as per usual. How the hell can he just automatically control any power he absorbs? Is it because he's absorbing powers he already had? And what happens if he steals Sylar's power?
And lets talk about Sylar for a second, shall we? How limitlessly powerful does he really have to be? Now he can shapeshift? And what happened to the whole period when he just absorbed powers by feeling feelings? Is the killing just a fun hobby of his now? I hated the crap with his father, because I am done with Daddy issues on this show (more on that in a second). I also don't like that he and the Hunter teamed up, because it clearly indicates the Hunter's desperation, which is not something I expected of his character. I'm curious to see how he's actually got Sylar backed into the corner, although I'm worried he doesn't and is just reacting to his situation. And given his general hatred of mutants (I'm through avoiding the term just because NBC doesn't have the rights) you'd think he had some scary mutant in his history, but no. He's just ANGRY.
Now on to Daddy issues. I can't believe how well my segues have been going. Claire and Nathan. *sigh* I'm not sure where to start. I like that Nathan flew in to save her, and they ran off to Mexico. I also enjoyed Nathan thinking he could out-drink some college kids at Tequila. Not so young anymore, Nathan. Especially when you have a girl who will heal the alcohol right out of her system (PS - Awesome power). But then Claire launches into this whole "You're my daddy, you're THUPER" shit and I completely lost interest in all of the four episodes I had just watched. "You were more amazing than anything I could have imagined. You could fly!" Really Claire? Really? Flight completely overwhelmed your expectations? This is the problem with kids today: No imagination. And it just REEKED of unresolved daddy issues on the writing staff. I did however like when Nathan woke up, and Claire was all "LETS SAVE THE WORLD" and he was all "Honey, Daddy was drunk. If you were just a bit older, I probably would have forced myself on you". (Don't get too excited Adrik ;) It was all just weak. Maybe I'm just really angry that Claire has not been beheaded. Although horrible thought, what if her body and head both regenerate like an earthworm and we have two Claires. God I hope the writers never read this.
So, yeah. I'm sort of back on the Heroes train. I'll probably keep up with it just because catching up is damned near impossible for me anymore. I reserve the right to jump-ship at any time, but I'll give Brian Fuller a chance to fix things. Clearly that man has me under some kind of spell. Damn you Wonderfalls. Damn you Pushing Daisies. Damn you TV networks for canceling both of those.
11 years ago

2 comments:
i dont think it lived up to my promises, so i clearly owe you something.. however my ulterior motive in getting you hooked again seems to have worked, even if it is only in your mouth, i'm confident it'll gouge its way into your gills before the end. :)
ps. i think i exhausted my resources chatting about this with you this morning but i maintain that the best thing you said was regarding claire's haircut in the sky~
and *nosebleed* at the implied incest (couldnt help myself)
also, i'm surprised you didnt mention the convenience of baby parkman being able to 'turn things on'.. things like hiro. EWWWWWWW!!! anyway, what is with the parkmans being plot devices?
I just loved that they kept calling the mini-parkman "Baby Touch-and-go".
Post a Comment