So that's why I just got to episode 8 of Dollhouse last night. The story centers on TPTB at the Dollhouse trying to fix some of the little problems that have been cropping up lately. Namely the actives starting to develop personalities, which clearly doesn't gel well with the Tabula Rasa that is necessary for their line of "work." They develop this scenario in which to fix the problems, but it would be spoiling a plot twist if I say what the scenario really is.So the four main actives that we've seen all wake up suddenly aware of who they are. They lack their previous memories, but they act like normal people, with all the required "What the fuck is going on here?" reactions. You watch as these normal people react to the Dollhouse, and then we get to watch them escape.
There are a couple of things that make this episode great. First, the dialogue, especially from Victor. It's the usual intelligent, witty remarks that we've come to expect from Whedon. And the lines that the more serious characters have are also really great, like the doctor's speech in the meeting (revealed at the end of the episode). Second, they really explore the moral issues that viewers have been squawking about since the show premiered. How much can the actives complain if they knew what they were getting themselves into, and even volunteered for it? Interesting moral dilemma. Third, the end scene answered my question about how they'd keep this show going for multiple seasons. They manage to prolong the storylines, but I found it to be quasi-believable and am more than willing to go along for the ride. There was a fourth but it seems to have escaped me at the moment. Maybe that I enjoyed when they showed Victor with his ass-less chaps.
So Yay to Dollhouse for not disappointing. I was never unhappy with the show, just not as wowed as I expected to be (which seems to be the prevailing critical opinion). I expected to plug into the first episode and love it from the get-go, but it took a little bit of warming up. I think it's really beginning to hit its stride, and I'm curious to see where it goes in the future. I had this sudden brilliant flash that later in the series, Ballard does something horrible, like kills someone, and he chooses to become a Doll. Could be interesting.
I hope this show does get renewed. Especially because so much else seems to be on the bubble. Fucking Jay Leno and his stupid fucking prime-time talk show.
1 comment:
i love fatty 'there are three flowers in the vase' lady.. aka November
Post a Comment