Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kyle XY redux




Oh Kyle XY. Now that I've had a few weeks to process (and forget parts of) the final season, I realize that I really miss this show. It had its stumbles, especially in the last season, but overall I enjoyed that this random little sci-fi show was on ABC Family. Or more to the point made ABC Family. Before Kyle, I think everyone associated ABC Family with 7th Heaven reruns. After Kyle, we have more mature fare such as Greek (which is amazing and everyone should watch) and Roommates (which sucks balls, but they had a 5 minute masturbation gag in the first episode, so yeah, adult). I even here Secret Life of an American Teenager is worth watching. So I have to give props to Kyle XY for that.

And really, overall the plots were interesting. I had issues with the specifics, but more because they were cliches than anything else. The whole secret society out to get Kyle was intriguing, and his powers were always cool. When they first introduced Jessie, I was kind of bleh about her character, but in the last few episodes she became really fun. And watching her flirt with Kyle was sweet, in a messed up kind of way. I'm just sorry we didn't get a resolution. I'd love a TV movie to come in and wrap up some of the loose ends, but who knows if we'll get that.

Yeah, this is a half-hearted recap, I realize. It's not that I don't like the show, I just don't like it as much as I once did. But I raised a glass to its finale, and now it has its own blog post.

No comments: