Thursday, December 18, 2008

England Trip Part 2: The time I met Britney Spears

Time for the next installment in Matt's travel adventure. Picking up where I left off, I spent most of Sunday hungover, and a good portion of it tearing Brian's flat apart looking for my wallet to no avail. Having given up on finding it, we went out to meet more of Brian's friends. Me, Brian, Laura, Lori, and Laela all went to a pub in Oxford which was fun, except the beer was so-so. I had Santa's Tipple, which was not so good. But it was called "Tipple" so not so bad. It was about this time that my dad called to tell us some guy had found my wallet, so this goes to show there's no point in worrying about things. Anyway, we're all sitting down chatting at the pub when this guy sits uncomfortably close behind Laura. Like, so close I thought he knew everyone else and I just didn't. Apparently not so much. He then proceeds to sigh freakishly loud, which startles us into turning around and looking at him, which he then takes as an invitation to start talking to us. He claims he's Britney Spears given the fact that he has a straw sticking out of his hat resembling a microphone. What follows is probably one of the funniest exchanges I've experienced in a long time, where all of us are so very, very put out by first this guy, then his girlfriend, then their other friend all start talking to us. Laela has the excellent talent of making fun of this douchebag to his face and he seems to think we're laughing with him rather than at him. After about 20 minutes of all of us feeling remarkably uncomfortable, Lori and Laela give the "DRINK UP" signal and we hightail it out of there to a houseparty.

The funny thing about the houseparty is the Oxford people I was with knew no one there, so of course I didn't either. We start playing this stupid, stupid drinking game called "G'day Bruce". No point whatsoever, but we each had our own personal bottle of wine that we were swigging from (me not so much, due to the hangover previously mentioned). Once the alcohol had gotten into people's systems the mood lightened up a bit. I met lots of people who I will never rememeber, and at one point Laela and I did some latin dancing. Brian, Laura and I decided to make some positive life choices and got the hell out of there at a decent hour. Somehow Laura managed to fit her bike in the back of the taxi (which was very impressive of her) and we went to get chips, where she proceeded to plan out Brian's and my wedding. Good times!

Monday Brian had a presentation, so he prepped for that a bit and then we walked around in Oxford to see the sights. It's a very pretty city, even if the sun never gets higher than the 30 degree mark in the sky and it's usually cloudy. At at the Bird and Baby again, because pubs are awesome. That night we ate at Jaime's Italian (Jaime Oliver, the naked chef and all.) and then went back and just relaxed. Tuesday Brian had his Japanese test, and then we did some souvenir shopping before getting ready for the night. First we went to a Choir service in the old chapel, which was good but a little too religious for me personally. Best song was Carol of the Bells, which sounded awesome. And then there was "Tomorrow is my dancing day" which was a much-agreed-upon mess. Then we had mulled wine and mincemeat pies in the common room before going to Christmas Hall. Dinner was alright, but the crackers were my favorite part. Not crackers as in bread products, but in the popper things that have a paper crown inside. I felt so British! Afterwards we went down to the bar and Lori and I played pool, which both of us completely suck at, before moving onto Taboo. Overall much fun, but we stayed up way too late given the fact that we had to be up at like 5:30 to get ready for Paris.

Paris deserves it's own post, so I will do that later. Long story short it was awesome.

No comments: