Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Heroes is my crack addiction

Because try as I might to quit it, I just keep going back. I'm actually very curious about the fugitives arc, but I'll get to that in a second. First the month-late review of the half-season finale. Now I actually have to say I didn't completely hate this episode. It had some serious, serious flaws, but there were parts about it that I enjoyed. Unfortunately all of those parts were ruined shortly thereafter by shitty writing and shittier acting.

The "Sylar Plays Saw" plot was interesting in theory. It was cool that he locked them all up to play mind-games with them. However, like any Villain he let his own shit get in the way and it ruined everything. Putting Noah in with firemom hopped up on adrenaline was actually really cool. I wish there had been a bit more fighting between sylar and the convicts they released. It was all rather anti-climatic. Even puppetman was over before he started. And then Sylar died, which I'm actually ok with. But the Angela/Sylar scene was also kind of a letdown. I enjoy both characters immensely and this scene was lacking something. Sidenote: how did little Claire suffer NO kickback from that shotgun blast? Sidenote 2: How the fuck did Noah and Claire manage to OUTRUN that stupid blast? Such bad CG during that episode. And why did firemom have to die exactly? I know Adrenaline is a bitch, but she had been holding that shit back for long enough that the adrenaline should have subsided slightly. And couldn't she have gone outside and exploded? It seemed like kind of a plot hole, but I'm willing to forgive it if the companies are now behind us.

The Peter/Nathan scenes also made little to no sense. I just don't understand why Nathan changed sides so quickly. He was all "We have to stop dad" and suddenly "DAD'S RIGHT. DEATH TO THE NORMALS" Beg pardon? And how the fuck did ALL of the red goo get changed? Did papa petrelli manage to lay on hands to every container in the room? And what pisses me off about all of this shit is how these stick-pens-of-goo are the now go-to plot device, and it annoys me. It's like the fortune-telling-comic-books. And now that Mohinder has taken the correct serum will he still have his wanna-be-spider-man abilities? And was anyone else annoyed that Peter taking the serum gave him the EXACT SAME powers as he had before?

And who can forget Terrific Trio of Ando, Matt, and Daphne. While I thought it would have been cool to reveal that Hiro has been pulling strings for the last 16 years and is actually in charge of something, that clearly would have required too much planning on the writers' part. How long until he takes the magic-sticky-pen-o-powers and gets his time traveling back? Because without them I'm done with his character. Ando's new powers were actually kind of cool, how he powers up people. But I didn't like that him powering up Daphne allowed her to run about through time. If she could go back in time that might be cool (albeit nonsensical) but how does she run forward through time so well? And Time Travel really isn't something you just understand. Shouldn't the running sensation be different somehow? And what really confused me is, when she first pops back in time, she is watching herself, and then when she watches herself get sucked back in time again you can see kind of an after image of Daphne appearing next to her. How the hell is that possible if the after image would be when she first appeared 2 minutes earlier? I guess it's because I'm a ginormous geek but these sorts of things really, really bother me and as a result completely take me out of the story. Not that taking myself out of the story would really kill much.

Despite all of the Heroes rants I've had recently, I will probably tune in to the new volume when it comes back. I heart Brian Fuller, and he comes back halfway through the volume as I understand it. And the giant nationwide hunt for Mutants seems like it could be interesting. I am just looking for a bit more epic scope from this series. Like, they don't seem to have any long-term plans and it bothers me. So with any luck the show will get back on track. And if it doesn't at least I will have shit to bitch about.

No comments: