11 years ago
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Why doesn't everyone see it this way?
Word.
I agree with everything he said, and it is why I can no longer have conversations with my mother (who is opposed to gay marriage. "Why does it need to be called marriage? I don't care if you have rights, but call it something different"). It's just so...hateful. I cannot fathom it. You don't care for men marrying men? Don't come to my wedding. Don't even be my friend. I've got enough shit being closeted at work on top of the hardships everyone else faces in the world. But how can you possibly tell me I am not entitled to the same things as you because I was born different? I always wind up at this point throwing my hands up in the air. I have no other argument than the Golden Rule, which these people claim to be the basis for their lives. I am a very logical person, and I pride myself on being able to see both sides of an argument, but these people defy any logic I could possibly see. It makes me sad. And I wish I could sit here and celebrate Obama and be happy for the direction the country is taking, but apparently in order for Obama to be elected I have to "take one for the team" as it were. Very sad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i agree with everything you've said and i dont think i've heard it put so succinctly re the prop 8/obama conflict of emotions.
that said, i am studiously avoiding reading your previous post until next week :)
Post a Comment