***Series Finales***
Battlestar Galactica: Liked it. This probably deserves it's own post, as it's a major finale for geeks everywhere. I'll admit that over time I've forgotten the things that annoyed me (the first 20 minutes, all that time when they first get to New Earth before people start disappearing) and I can focus on the things I loved (The attack on the colony, Roslin's death, Starbuck's disappearance). Roslin's death was awesome, except it was literally followed by a commercial break, so there was no time to absorb the emotion. It was like 'HORRIBLY EMOTIONAL SCENE 2 seconds MCDONALDS CM". Yuck. I know I'm in the minority that actually liked Starbuck's last scene. I thought it was so cool that she just stopped existing, implying that everything up until this point had been supernatural. So damned cool! I also liked that Head Six and Head Baltar are like angels, although the very final scene was a bit heavy handed. I enjoyed it, as long as I don't analyze it too much. So I'm sad to see this show go. It wasn't always great (Thank you season 3) but when this show was good, it was AMAZING. Notice how it got Bold, Italics, and Caps. Watching BSG was the first time I ever got chills from an hour of TV, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. Which is why I've preordered the bigass Complete Series Box set. God knows where I'll put it. There might be more to say about this, but I feel like the SciFi did all the "goodbye BSG" shit to death.
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Liked it. Ish.
I had to think about how I felt about this. I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure I necessarily liked it. For one thing I hate, hate, hate when they cancel a show AFTER it's finished shooting, so we never get closure. It's one thing to not renew it halfway through a season, so TPTB have time to cram something together, even if it's not as epic as what they might have planned. But to just cancel something without any sort of warning I find to be reprehensible. Especially when that something has a hard-core geek following, cause those Geeks will tear you to pieces. I'd bitch about Fox now but they renewed Dollhouse so they've won some points. Overall I think this show was good, although it got significantly better second season. At first I only liked Cameron, but this season I also started to like John a bit. Sarah annoyed me, and Derek was just alright. I loved the Red head, although I think she was a bit stiff (and not because she was a robot). I'll always mourn the passing of decent Sci Fi, but I think this show was about to get into some serious Time Travel stories, and the time line is already muddled enough. I think Time Travel is really cool, but has to be handled in a very specific way, or else you get paradoxes left and right. OR you get 200 alternate timelines, which is what Sarah Connor was starting to do. That shit gets horribly confusing because you never know who's from which timeline, and then you have to do some major event to consolidate them (a la Crisis on Infinite Earths). So all in all I will say I liked this series and will miss it next season.
Kyle XY: Liked it except for the cliffhanger
I already spent a post talking about this, so we're done. I'm not even going to tag this.
Pushing Daisies: Loved it
This show was so great. I didn't always love the characters (Ok, I really didn't like Chuck at all. And I didn't like Ned when he was mooning over Chuck) but the storylines were always cute and the general atmosphere of the show was fantastic. This cemented my love of Brian Fuller that had started earlier with Wonderfalls (I even caught the crossover. I'm that TV-Geeky). I think it was just a little bit too quirky to gain wide-spread acclaim, but I'm glad it lasted two seasons. I'm waiting for a "Complete Series" set to be released before I buy it (although what if there isn't one and it goes out of print? That's my current Big Fear regarding cartoons, which is why I've spent a fuckton recently buying DVDs before they die). Anyone that hasn't caught the first season at least should really try. I think there were only like 22 episodes of this show total, split over two seasons, so it's not hard to catch up. It's cute and unlike anything else on TV. And Kristen Chenowith and Chi McBride are GENIUS, especially together.
Those are all of the series finales I can think of, but I'll post more if I think of any. And as I must go home now, I'll save the Season Finales for another post. It's probably better to break them up anyway, as I watch so much damn TV.
1 comment:
yokatta ne. u blogged.
im concerned that we have utterly opposing views on the BSG finale but apart from that, in agreeance re terminator, i watched a bit of pushing daisies but wasnt completely rapt with it though i think timeslot and distribution had a lot to do with its demise and kyle xy was a twink perve fest really so it'll be sad to see it go :P
bring on the heroes/dollhouse commentary.
Post a Comment