Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It's Star Trek!!!!


That was awesome.

I now run the risk of overselling this movie, and then I will lead a legion of unimpressed followers in my wake and it will make me sad. So, how can I sum up this film without having a nerdgasm all over the keyboard?

Great Action.
Awesome special effects.
Believable plot.
Great casting and characters.
And plenty of one-liners and subtle nods to Trekkies everywhere. Including Tribbles.

I'll admit, I'm biased to this movie. But in both ways. I love science fiction, especially Star Trek. I now own the complete TNG, DS9, and Voyager, as well as 6 of the movies. But I also hated the original series, specifically Kirk (to be honest, when I went and watched the Original Series, I actually enjoyed all the storylines that weren't completely centered on William Shatner. Which by season 3 was none of them.). But Chris Pine did an outstanding job as Captain Kirk. He has all the bravado and bravery, without any of the overacting and smugness. I actually like all of the new casting, so I don't need to go character by character. All in all each character got face time (although not as much as Kirk and Spock). I really enjoy how they make room for this story in the overall Trek canon (it's sneaky, but believable for me), and I also enjoy how it's left open-ended (i.e. they don't all die and the Enterprise flies again. Prolly not a huge shock).

There are probably issues with the movie that a second viewing will reveal, but I don't want to get into them right now. Suffice to say go see this movie. Even if you're not a Trekkie, go see it. It's a fantastic summer blockbuster and I hope it makes a ton of money.

And as a side-note, there was no "secret scene" after the credits. I always hate when movies sneak those in and no one tells me, so I wait until the end of the credits and 9 times out of 10 I'm disappointed because I just wasted 5 minutes of my life waiting for the MPAA symbol. So I am sharing now that there is no secret scene.

No comments: