
Somehow my sister managed to win two tickets to a sneak preview of Star Trek tomorrow night, and I have to say I'm so excited I could pee. The last Star Trek movie came out in 2002, and even though I loved it, it really wasn't so good. I didn't watch Star Trek: Enterprise because it infuriated me that they changed the canon, but even that hasn't been on since 2005. So four years without Trek and suddenly it's back! (The irony is that there were a whole bunch of years after the Original Series ended.)
It's not really a huge surprise to anyone that's had a real conversation with me that I like Star Trek. All sci-fi, in fact, but The Next Generation was what started it all. Back when the only things I was watching were He-Man and Transformers (and occasionally American Gladiators), I would catch random episodes of Picard and the Enterprise D flying through the galaxy doing all sorts of things that I wished I could be doing. Because I didn't understand the rules of syndication, or apparently how to read a TV Guide, back in the day, I didn't watch it religiously. But everything I caught I loved, and when I moved to my new house I started watching it a lot more. I remember when DS9 came on and I was so disappointed becasue I hated Sisko. I remember when All Good Things... was on and it was one of the best episodes I'd ever seen. I remember going to see Generations with my Dad and getting so excited. I remember tuning back into DS9 because Worf was joining, and there were giant epic space battles. I remember when Voyager launched at the same time as UPN. I remember the media attention when Jeri Ryan was cast as Seven of Nine in that skin-tight uniform. And that's enough "I remembers" to last any reader for years.
Needless to say I'm a giant geek when it comes to Trek, especially TNG. You can give me a random episode title and I'd bet 90% of the time I could give you an episode description. I've read the Enterprise-D Technical manual. Once in middle school I even went as a Starfleet captain for Halloween. Then of course I reached that age where I had to be cool, and put the fandom on a backburner (at least in public) but it never really left me. It morphed into a fandom of Babylon 5 and Farscape and Stargate and Battlestar Galactica and Firefly, although none of those could ever compare. It's really only a matter of time before I get some fancy costume maker to make me a uniform that I can wear to conventions. I used to be embarrassed, but as I get older I'm rapidly reaching the "Fuck 'em if they don't get it" age.
I don't need to be one of those geeks that gets all philosophical about his love of Trek. Suffice to say I am. It speaks to me in a way Star Wars never has. And while I wish they'd go and at least acknowledge homosexuality in the 24th century, the Federation is a place I'd very much like to be. This probably won't be my only Star Trek inspired post in the next few days, especially since I recently watched the original series all the way through, I've got all of the movies on hold at the library so I can watch them all through, and I've recently bought the complete series of TNG, DS9 and Voyager.
Told you I was a geek.
1 comment:
Trekkies FTW!!! This post is so funny... :) i go to school with a phaser and sonic screwdriver in my back-pack GEEKS RULE!!
Post a Comment