Friday, October 17, 2008

The real villian is the shitty writing

So, let me start by saying that I think Heroes season 3 blows hardcore. Here are a few of my issues: (Spoiler Alert if you're not up to date)

  1. wtf is going on with Mohinder? He injects himself and turns into Manspider? And while we're on the topic, could we get some better fucking lighting in his laboratory? Did he learn nothing in high school chemistry? That dark, grey-ness is a one-way ticket to pouring acid on yourself. and more to the point, I can't figure out if he has a "rash" as he put it, or he's scaling over. Note to all you future genetic experiments: Be specific when describing side effects. And Maya, you stupid bitch, why did you stop poisoning him? Clearly he's off-kilter. You deserved to be sacked in a corner. Granted after last seasons suckitude, I'm not so broken up.
  2. I will allow the "Nathan back from the dead" thing. Maybe he's being reanimated. maybe that's daddy's power. who knows. I do not like the "I'm on a mission from God" storyline. And sidenote: where the hell did his family go? Did they leave him after he got all melty-faced last season? His wife could walk again, and apparently that meant she walked away from his sorry ass.
  3. WTF IS SYLAR'S POWER? Hunger? watch repair? Crazy? I had always thought Peter and Sylar had similar powers, just different ways of going about them. But apparently the crazy that goes with it is VERY IMPORTANT. And while we're on the topic of Peter, how about he get a little bit MORE emo? Would that work for everyone? That scene between scar-face peter and stupid-idealism peter was annoying melodramatic and cliche. And now he's all "I HUNGER". But still not getting why. And all he needed to do to absorb the power was fix a watch? Seriously? That's like a poorly designed RPG quest.
  4. Speaking of not-getting, Mama Petrelli says "I am your mother" and everyone's like "WOW, I HAD NO IDEA". If that crazy bitch told me she was my mother, my first question would be "Could I get a DNA test?" It's like an episode of Maury Povitch in here. And why is everyone in this damned show related?
  5. Hiro is being overly emo as well, and I don't like it. I love that he calls Daphne nemesis, and I loved how he kept putting Sark (David Anders, i can't remember his heroe's name. Adam?) in the coffin. but all of the "I don't trust ando" bullshit is an over-reaction that you KNOW is going to turn out to be completely misunderstood. I was mildly surprised when Hiro stabbed Ando, but I just don't care so much anymore.
  6. Am I they only one that didn't understand the situation when they went into the future? In the first episode they make you believe that Claire is chasing after Peter because the "specials" are being hunted, but now you learn that he's like a terrorist of some sort. Is that how the future changed? He kept talking about "Stepping on Butterflies" Other confusion, how did her four shots kill future Peter? we've already proven the healers can withstand an atomic blast, but four bullets in the chest put him down?
  7. While I appreciate that Claire is all damaged, and who wouldn't be after Sylar did that to her, she's not pulling it off well enough. She's still far too emotional for my tastes. I'd like to see her dead inside. That would be interesting. She's still too feisty. And her whole "Dad, what are you doing?!?" when Noah wanted to use black-hole-boy to suck him up was ridiculous. Suddenly you care about Sylar? The man is a monster.
I'm sure there are more issues I have with this season, but those are the biggest ones I have at the moment. I don't mind the Nikki and sisters were genetically engineered storyline. I thought it was interesting when we find out that Nikki was indeed dead and Tracy was different. If they pull this again, though, I will be unimpressed. I like how Mama Petrelli is crazy and clearly up to no good (minus the whole "Sylar, I am your Mother" shit mentioned above). I like seeing the villians too. I just wish that the darkside of the heroes we know wasn't quite as melodramatic or irrational. Thus ends my Heroes rant.

1 comment:

test said...

you know, i'd have to agree on most of these points but.. i dont think it's [only] the writing so much as the acting that's letting us down here. if peter was at all capable of acting, his scene with himself wouldn't have been so painful, and if claire had been hired for more than her looks she might be able to pull off 'bad' with more than some dark make up, cause at the end of the day, i think the villainous attributes to the heroes are meant to be things we have already seen in them that are coming to the forefront? not actually different characters altogether like definitely mohinder is playing it.
but i concur. maya is ridiculous for many reasons. one is that she doesnt care about her twin brother being dead anymore, two is that she dresses like it's south american summer all the time even though she's not there and three is her pathetic use of her power last ep.
and as for hiro, his appeal is basically gone.. and when he lost adam? JUST GO BACK IN TIME AND GET HIM FFS