I was going to start my sentence "the only TV I've really watched this week was Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, Heroes, and Chuck" and then I realized that's more than most people watch in a whole week, much less two days. But for me it is sadly lacking. Anyway, I have to say this season is not shaping up the way I thought it would.
First, I really, really enjoy Housewives again. I remember we used to plan our Sunday nights around it the first season, and then the second season sucked hard-core. But it's fun again! I really like all the women. I hate the men more than ever, but that's why it's called Desperate Housewives. All of the men just need to be shot. I realize Carlos is blind, but he can't shave? I never look in a mirror and I manage to shave on a regular basis. Why must he look homeless? Mike is boring, but he always has been, so I'll at least give him points for consistency. Brian Kinney is a bit too "I LOVE you" for my tastes, although Susan is being a bit stupid. Don't even get me started on Orson. Are we just going to glaze over the whole "YOU PROMISED ME A POT ROAST" scene? Bree should have stabbed him in the eye. And Tom is being a whiny child, and he deserves to be smacked upside the head. He's my favorite of the husbands usually, but he really needs to act more like an adult. The women are good, though. Susan is less annoying, Gaby is endearing, Lynette is Lynette, Bree is wonderful, Edie is funny, and Kathryn is under-used. I loved Dana Delaney last year, and I feel like she's just background this season. I'd like to see her start up a rival company to Bree, since clearly Bree doesn't appreciate her. And I don't remember who it is that said "suddenly she's all important when last week you weren't giving her any credit" but WORD. Oh, I almost forgot my rant about the gays. Apparently they can only show up to make inappropriate prison rape jokes and look shocked. I thought Andrew was getting a storyline this season. I don't care if they're under-used, I just care that they're only randomly included to promote stereotypes.
Brothers and Sisters was actually kind of enjoyable this week. I've decided episodes without Tommy and Kitty centric stories are better. I like Justin mostly, I like Kevin when he's with Scotty (To be honest I just like Scotty a lot. And not just because I think he's hot), and I just look at Sarah and think of how good an actress she could be if not saddled with shitty storylines. And Nora is tolerable too when she's not sniping at someone over dinner. The scene at dinner and after when Kevin didn't get the promotion was great. That's exactly how I would be in that situation. Actually I'd be more like Scotty, sucking up to my nasty mother who doesn't accept me. Oh, wait...
Chuck is also surprisingly enjoyable this season. On Monday when big bang and HIMYM were repeats, I actually chose to watch Chuck over Gossip Girl or Terminator. And wow, "Touch" so made it worth it. I got up and started dancing about, and I even wasted a text message to twitter about it. The ending was a little lack-luster I thought, but the rest of the episode was fun.
And then there was Heroes. I left this to last because I really don't know what to say about it, and that's not a good thing. It's all so...lackluster. Claire is melodramatic, Peter is emo, and everyone else is forgettable. And when Kristen Bell comes onto a show and is sucky, you know there's a problem with the writing. The scene with her on the plane was ridiculous. No one could see the giant blue electricity? I know we all try to avoid eye contact with people on planes, but lets be serious. And Suresh is continuing to mutate. I watch it and it's clear they tried to make him into this Dark Beast kind of character, but his motivation is so haphazard. One minute he just wants to save Maya, and the next he's sticking her to his wall. It'd be one thing if he showed some remorse for losing control, but he just looks crazy. I never liked him, and these developments just increase that. I also need someone to explain to me the intentions of Papa and Mama Petrelli. Like, we know they're at odds, but for what purpose? and isn't it a little stupid that they're both set up in cover companies? Am I the only one that thought Primatech was a cover name for an actual organization not called Primatech? These super heroes and the best they had was "the company"? And if Sylar wanted to save Peter, do you think he could have been a little bit less obvious about it? Why doesn't Papa Petrelli just steal his powers too? When will Peter get his powers back? because without them he's more than a little useless and I will be happy to be rid of him, but since I know that won't happen, it's just a question of when, not if. And wow how easy is it to see the future? Every five seconds someone gets all white-eyed. And why didn't Ando eat some of the paste? (this one I know: Purely so he could freak out over Hiro) It's all just such a disappointment that I don't really care where it's going. In the first season you were curious to see how things would turn out. Same with Lost. Now I'm like "Well, we have to get to 'Fugitives' so clearly Peter is going to be on the run from something, what contrived plot device will they use".
This post was long, but I have many rants about Heroes. I will try to keep the rest shorter.
11 years ago
1 comment:
i liked kristen bell, she sure makes clare look like crap. the plane scene was ridiculous, i'll grant you that, as was clare being able to withstand all that electricity as if she's invincible, when she's just super healy...
suresh is ridiculous, i can't believe maya is gone, where is the retribution for her brother???
clare's relations to everyone is ridiculous as evidenced when she was with her uncle, father, adopted father, mother... the list is seemingly endless. and now sylar too.
hiro is a waste of time, i cant believe he's going on a journey AGAIN ffs.
Post a Comment