So as I was thinking about doing, I went to see Save Me after work today. The traffic was bad, and I really did want to see it. Granted I was technically late, but it hadn't started. So as for my review.
If you don't know the premise, Chad Allen plays a gay drug addict who has one bender too many and gets put in a "ex-gay" program run by Judith Light. There he meets Scott (played by Robert Gant of QAF fame), and even though they're both in the program, you can tell straight off they will probably be in a relationship at one point before the movie is over. First, I really have to give the film credit for not making Light's character an "I hate gays" charicature. You realize she feels strongly about these issues, and personally I think she's crazy, but you can feel for her a little bit once you find out why she's doing what she's doing. I also think Chad Allen did a respectable job as a recovering drug addict. He was better in the Donald Strachey films, but he did a pretty good job. As for Robert Gant...I want to like him. But some of his expressions, especially in the hospital when his father was dying, were just RIDICULOUS. He looked more surprised than anguished, and that was a particularly important scene for his character. And he can't do "sad" very well. The scene where he and Chad Allen admit to their attraction was alright, though. Overall though, I'm glad I saw it, but I will never watch it again. It probably doesn't help that the guy sitting next to me clearly was not enjoying the film.
Tomorrow is "Were the World Mine" but I can't see it because of the play. So I will have to wait until December to see it in DC. The question now is if I go to see High School Musical 3 tomorrow, or perhaps Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Depends on how early I get up, I suppose.
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment