Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A book review. Several, in fact.

First let me point out this is my 93rd post on this blog, and I will probably forget about 100 until I'm at 102 and the magic has passed. I realize that I'm the only one who really cares if I get to 100 posts, but it is a milestone that should be noted. Second, let me say that I'm six kinds of exhausted ;) and this may not be as witty as I'd like it to be. Instead I'll go for heartfelt.

So, even though I watch TV like it's my job, I do read occasionally. Never anything that could ever be classified as "great" or "classic", but still pages with words and no pictures do pass my line of sight. I recently finished Brisingr, which was the third book in the Inheritance Used-to-be-trilogy-but-thanks-to-bad-writing-is-now-Cycle, by Christopher Paolini. It was alright, which is the same way I'd describe all of his books. The plot is kind of easy to predict, mainly because it's unoriginal. It's an enjoyable read, and not too difficult. I like the dragons and the way magic works. My biggest problem is I find the Eragon character to be just like every other young male farmboy-turned-warrior character out there. It's just sort of disappointing. So to sum up: Enjoyable read, but nothing earth-shattering.

The next book I read is called Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. He was also a co-author on Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, if you were curious. This is my new favorite book EVER. It's just a 'Young Adult' novel, so there's nothing too deep in it, but I really, really enjoy the story. It's so...whimsical, for lack of a better term. Not like it's set in the land of Faerie or anything, but listening to the main character's views on the world so echo what I want my views on the world to be. And reading it helped me to understand my motivations for some shit in high school. That sounds kind of ridiculous when I read it back. I loved it so much I read it a second time right after I finished it, which I've never done that before. And I also went out and bought a copy. To sum up: Cute, awesome, happy. Good times.

Most recently I read Someday this pain will be useful to you by Peter Cameron. I don't really understand the gay Young Adult fiction kick I've been on the past few weeks (I also read Geography Club by Brent Hartinger, but don't feel like reviewing it out of laziness rather than it being bad. It was decent enough), but it will pass in time. Anyway, if Boy Meets Boy is who I want to be, Someday... is who I'm afraid that I am. The kid has a horrible time dealing with the world around him, and as a result just doesn't want to. It has shades of Catcher in the Rye, although sometimes i got the impression he was trying to hard to achieve those shades. I can relate to the main character, although he's a bit more emotionally isolated than I ever have been. To sum up: Interesting read with enjoyable, if slightly depressing, observations.

I'm such a sap for teen drama. I'm really a sap for any kind of romantic-type drama. I'm such a freaking girl. but everyone already knew that.

1 comment:

test said...

you know, after reading this, i realised that my last post was my hundredth post and i did nothing exciting for it *sigh