Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kyle, what big electrified hands you have...

My reaction to Kyle XY this week can best be summed up with "Ugh". Everything I predicted would happen two weeks ago went ahead and happened this week. Kyle got all crazy-pants on Amanda without actually explaining his secret, and she understandably freaked. But what annoys me about this storyline is not that she freaked, because while I didn't like it I knew it was coming from a mile away. What annoys me is that the situations the characters kept finding themselves in were utterly RIDICULOUS and impossible to believe. I now present examples:

A) Josh's general horniness: I don't mind that the boy was horny. He's a teenager who just had sex for the first time, and really just saying "Teenager" should have been a good enough qualifier. But looking at porn without locking his door? It's not like he hit puberty last week, he should know to lock his door by this point. And watching porn in the middle of the family room in the middle of primetime? REALLY?! Everyone gets pent-up, but that doesn't mean you abandon all sense just to get off whenever possible. And the resolution to his storyline was SO STUPID. "I realized I just really miss talking to her". Ugh. Poorly written. Although the shit you can get away with on ABC Family these days is incredible: Holding a pillow over your lap when you stand up after watching porn? Wow. Also, I was taken out of the scene of Josh looking at the magazine in his room, because the point Jessie walked in on was just awkward. Who stands next to the bed with his jeans around his ankles and his boxers still on and yet not excited? Just weird. And who the hell extends their vacation by 3 weeks? Apparently lesbians. And what hte hell season is it supposed to be? I guess summer now that I think about it, but it's kind of disorienting.

B) Jessie being hated: I thought Jessie was actually the high point of this episode, which is why I was so annoyed that everyone had a problem with her. Yes, she has super hearing and no social skills to speak of. So PLAN AHEAD. It was one thing with Kyle because they didn't know him going in, but they should know by now what to expect. If I was her I would have slit my wrists in Kyle's tub and written "You should have loved me" on the floor in my own blood. And Nicole and Stephen were so weak in their "remember Kyle" shit. I'm still foggy why Jessie got the room and Kyle had to move in with Josh. Nicole hasn't done any serious psychology work in years, can't she just move into the family room or something?

C) Kyle, in general: This is the most upsetting thing for me, because I always liked Kyle. Sure he was painfully self-righteous at times, but you could attribute a lot to his naivete at first, and then a bit to his earnestness to learn about his past. But after all this time, he's been around too long to still be 'naive', and he's still earnest to save Amanda, but he's going about it ridiculously backwards. First, I appreciate he loves Amanda, but is he dead from the neck down? I don't think Jessie is overly attractive but a boy looking at a real life naked girl for the first time should illicit SOME kind of response. Like "Oh that's where the penis goes". And then he's determined to help Amanda, which I think is great, but KISSING JESSIE seems like a good plan? Come on Kyle, you're not this stupid. And again, LOCK THE GOD DAMNED DOOR. And then he's like "I can explain" and Amanda is all "No you can't" and he's like "oh, ok". Uhm, what? Shake her and say "LISTEN BITCH. See this belly button that I don't have? See what happens to the lights when I close my eyes and put on my "thinking" face? Maybe, just maybe, you don't understand what's going on." This is exactly what I knew would happen, and it pisses me off that, if the writers were really going to go there, they had to go there in such an unimaginative way. And WTF was with Amanda not going "Uhm, why the fuck are your hands sparking?" If I saw electricity arcing off of my boyfriends fingers, I'd have some questions. The only upside I can see to this whole stupid storyline is that I hear Kyle goes to a bar next week to drown his sorrows. Except he goes with Josh and Declan, so yuck.

Other minor things that annoyed me: Why is Declan just the "girls don't make sense" guy now? Hasn't he earned a better spot than 'Dude, don't ask me, look at my situation. I make out with my ex-girlfriend's best friend and they both flip. Bitches are CRAZY'? How the hell does Lori know where to find nerd-boy in a giant college campus? And how does she just magically wind up there right as he's leaving? I went to college, and I couldn't run into people I was trying to find. Can they find a better villian than this creepy british guy with the longish hair? He's just kind of stupid. And can Jessi get over her Kyle crush quickly? Because I'm done with that shit.

It's all just frustrating. This show was never perfect TV, but now it's just disappointing, which really annoys me. Especially because I really enjoyed the season premeire. As with anything else (Heroes, Grey's Anatomy) I'll probably keep watching with hopes that it gets better.

No comments: