I don't know if anyone knows this or not, but I love awards shows. I make a big to-do about the Emmy's and the Oscars, and I even enjoy they're less important sidekick the Golden Globes. In fact part of me almost likes it more because you can see the celebrities all getting a little tipsy, and it's fun to see TV and Movie stars in the same place. Sometimes I think the Oscars takes itself too seriously. Anyway, in honor of the Globes show this weekend, I'm going to write down my votes for all the categories. If you want the nominees, look here.
Best Motion Picture - Drama: I've only seen Benjamin Button, and I know I don't want that to win. I get the feeling from what I've heard that Slumdog should win. I really hate all of these overly thinky movies, like Revolutionary Road, and it amuses me that the lead in Slumdog was on Skins.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Meryl Streep. Because she's Meryl Streep. If not her, then Anne Hathaway cause I also like her. I wouldn't be disappointed if Kate Winslet won, but as I said I hate the kind of movie that she was in.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Again, definitely not Brad Pitt. He was chewing far too much scenery. From all accounts Sean Penn is excellent, but I have yet to watch the damned movie. All of these choices may change as I find more screeners (or more to the point watch the ones I have). Oh, also, I do not want Mickey Rourke to win at all.
Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Burn After Reading was simply not funny. You could see where they were trying to go for a satire, but it missed the mark. I blame the crap acting of Brad Pitt and George Clooney. The cast of that movie should have done better. In Bruges was amusing, although very dark. Mamma Mia I thought was excellent but I would be surprised if it won, as it's a bit silly.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Meryl Streep or Emma Thompson, purely because of who they are. Meryl I thought did a fantastic job in Mamma Mia. Frances Mcdormand was horrible. I haven't seen the other two, so who am I to judge.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: I loved James Franco in Pineapple Express. It was so different from his usual brooding self and I really enjoyed it. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson did alright, but they were better as a team than individually. I don't like Javier Bardem after he creeped me out in No Country for Old Men, and I'm over Dustin Hoffman in a general sense.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: I have no idea whatsoever in this category, so I'm going to pick Amy Adams because I like her a lot, and Doubt seems interesting. In general I'm also voting against Vicky Christina Barcelona and The Wrestler just because.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Tropic Thunder was amusing because it was so crazy, but Robert Downey Jr. doesn't really deserve it. Tom Cruise was really amusing, but only becasue he was crass and wore a fat suit, neither of which require a great deal of acting. Heath Ledger was really good in his role, I do have to say, so I would probably like it to go to him.
Best Animated Feature Film: I've not seen Bolt, but I can't imagine it being better than Wall-E, which was one of my favorite films from 2008. Kung Fu Panda was enjoyable, but Wall-E by far is my favorite.
Best Foreign Language Film: I think this is a stupid category, so I'm refraining from choosing. Of all the films in the entire rest of the world, these 5 were deemed the best? It's stupid.
Best Director - Motion Picture: Meh. I have no idea. I love movies and TV like nobodies business, but I hardly ever think "The direction here is fantastic". Lets go with Danny Boyle, just cause. I liked the cinematography of Benjamin Button more than the direction, which I felt allowed Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett to over-act. And the set-up scenes through the years felt obvious and forced. And I feel like the other three movies, I could envision how most of the scenes are set up, which automatically makes the director replaceable.
Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Not to rail on it again, but Benjamin Button was far too long. That's a sign of sloppy writing. And what the hell was with Katrina in the background? I never understood. I'll split my vote between Doubt and Slumdog Millionaire until I've watched them.
Best Original Score - Motion Picture: Eh? Again, no clue. Lets give this one to Benjamin Button as a consolation prize for being an over-rated film.
Best Original Song: No idea about any of these songs, other than I didnt' like the one from Wall-E. Lets go with "Once in a Lifetime" because Beyonce has gotten all crazy and she might stab me if I don't.
Those are all the movie categories. I'll tackle TV, which I know a hell of a lot more about, at a later date.
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment