Since work is going nowhere fast, time to finish what I started.
Best Television Series - Drama: I have not seen In Treatment, but I have not heard enough critical acclaim to make it worth my time when there's so much else to watch. And I have to say I don't quite understand why House is on this list. House is an entertaining show, and the acting is good, but it's not AMAZING the way Mad Men or Friday Night Lights is, or even as engaging as Dexter or Damages. As for True Blood, I couldn't quite get into it, although I've heard later episodes are better. That being said my vote goes to Mad Men, which is just amazing (even though I haven't seen season 2 yet, I trust it's amazing). My vote would go to Friday Night Lights if the idiots ever made a proper decision and nominated it.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Law and Order should not be in an awards show, that's just my feeling about that. I love Sally Field, but I don't think she deserves this either. My vote goes to January Jones, who manages to portray the hopelessness of the housewife in the 1960s perfectly. All this Mad Men talk is making me want to watch the second season. Connie Britton would take my vote if she had been nominated. FNL gets cheated every fucking year.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama: Why the hell is Jonathon Rhys Myers on this list? Tudors season 2 was crap, and all he did was play batshit crazy, which I think he might be. And again, I enjoy House but I don't think he really needs to win this award when compared with John Hamm or Michael C Hall or, had he been nominated, Kyle Chandler. Again with the FNL love. And I normally hate football.
Best Television Show - Musical or Comedy: 30 Rock by default. Weeds is entertaining, but hardly "Best Comedy". I hate the Office simply because I hate Steve Carrell. I know I'm in the minority on this. Californication and Entourage I don't watch. But 30 Rock is just so funny, with Tina Fey's deadpans and pretty much everything Alec Baldwin says.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy: I love Christina Applegate in Samantha Who?, but I'm going to go with Tina Fey, for the reasons mentioned above. America Ferrera does a good job, but the highlight of Betty is the under-appreciated supporting cast. Without Marc and Amanda and Hilda and Justin, that show would be about one-eighth as good. Vanessa Williams is fantastic, but she gets attention. I have no idea why Debra Messing was even nominated other than her name, and Mary Louise Parker I think is an amazing actress, but I don't think she deserves the award over Tina Fey in a comedy category.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Alec Baldwin for reasons mentioned above. He is hysterical in 30 Rock. And what the fuck is Tony Shaloub doing being nominated for anything? Monk is so 2003. That shit needs to end, and he needs to stop taking nominations from people that really deserve them. I can't think of who that might be, but certainly not him.
Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: I never watch these but usually wish I did. John Adams gets my vote simply because I've seen it. And I'm done with election drama a la Recount.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: What a long category name. Laura Linney because I like her, and have heard nothing about Judi Dench's performance. And frankly Dame Judi probably won't even bother goign to the awards because she literally has better things to do. Like being a Dame.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Definitely NOT Keifer. What the fuck was the 24 movie doing getting him nominated for this? Hmm. I guess Paul Giamatti. This is a dartboard category. Meaning I could hang the list on a wall, throw darts at it, and do almost as well as I'm doing now.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television: This category seems horribly unfair for all of the supporting actresses and actors on TV. Comedy against Drama against miniseries? Ridiculous. While I love Sarah, I don't think Rachel Griffiths deserves this. She barely did anything last year. I can't imagine Melissa George did anything fantastic, so I'll go with Diane Wiest, because I think she's a terrific actress. Not to hate on Ms.George, she was in Alias, but I hate her current arc on Grey's Anatomy, so I'm holding that against her.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television: Here is my problem. I desperately want Neil Patrick Harris to win, not only because I have a huge crush on him, but also because I think he makes "How I Met Your Mother." I enjoy the show, but he is far and away the best thing about it. I'm also really, really fucking tired of Jeremy Piven winning, because I've seen a fair bit of Entourage and I just don't like it. But apparently I need to give In Treatment a try because it's all over this shit.
It's so weird choosing some of these categories, because they were included in the Emmys back in September. Like Recount. I will probably get most of these wrong, although I'm damned good with the Emmys. Unlike the Oscars, where Brian's choices always kick my ass. But we shall see! May the best (hah! Right, like that's how this shit works) contender win!
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment