Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kyle XY: Neither that psychic or the writers of this episode are your friends

I hate it when I'm right. Well, ok, that's a whole load of shit. I enjoy it oodles. But I hate when I see shit coming from a mile away and then it actually happens. see: Amanda getting angry at Kyle for being so fucking secretive. Did he really expect her to be OK with the idea that she's apparently an ambulatory narcoleptic? "I found you some ways from the dance. You were asleep." Uhm, what? "Oh, OK Kyle. Thanks for finding me. The last time this happened I wound up in a biker bar. You should see the tattoo I have on my thigh to prove it. Oh wait, you won't". He's clearly being ridiculously overprotective, which makes sense since she has a habit of getting randomly abducted. But the problem is she doesn't know that happened. And keeping your powers a secret makes sense when the worst thing you have to explain is your lack of a belly button. Doesn't so much work when you become this decade's Lindberg baby. I never really liked Amanda, and always thought Kyle could do better, but he is acting like a complete dipshit. I did take a small hint of glee with how the psychic's prediction turned out (even though I saw it coming from the minute the bitch said it. In fact I saw the entire twist with the psychic coming the whole time. BAD WRITING)

But that wasn't the end of my annoyance, don't you worry. I was mightily annoyed at the Josh/Andi story. Why did he not call her on "If you're embarrassed you had sex with me, how about you say it rather than coming up with some bad pop culture reference about Juno?" I understand that losing your virginity is a big thing, but it's high school, and it happens. It really seemed like she completely regretted having sex. Or maybe it's just sex with Josh. Maybe he didn't push her buttons properly. I bet Kyle could do it properly. I in fact have a list of things I think Kyle could do properly. Or at least a list of things I'd like to see him give a try. Side-tracked.

And then there's the poorly-constructed Lori-Declan-Hillary triangle. I say poorly constructed when I should say Obviously-constructed. At least Hilary admitted to enjoying herself at the time. And what the fuck is Declan so confused by? You kissed your ex-girlfriend's best friend. You may think that she has no right to be upset, but don't be so surprised that she is upset. And I don't like Lori's new love interest near enough, because I think he's boring. I could care less that he's on the Latenock JV squad. They clearly keep him around because he fits a demographic that Lori would fall on her back for.

The whole thing was just kind of boring. There were no powers (outside of Jessie summoning all the knives and throwing them, which I enjoyed.) The only character I could really stand watching was Jessie, because she played her hurt well. Her mother left her, which is just the latest in the long list of disappointments that is her life. And then the boy she loves (The fact that it's kyle is boring and unimaginative on her part. She should mind-frak someone into loving her. It's just her speed) asks her to watch his girlfriend. How dense is he? There's naive, and then there's Kyle's density. I'll of course keep watching because TV.com told me that Kyle winds up in a bar in a couple weeks, which I can only see as being awesome. Any hope of it being a gay bar? Or that there might be a gay character on this show? I keep forgetting Andi's parents (who we've never seen) are lesbians. I want Kyle to get a gay sidekick that is desperately in love with him but knows it won't come to anything (unlike Amanda, who loves him but doens't know him, and Jessie who loves him and thinks it might come to something). And this isn't out of some desire to get a gay on every TV show I watch. Well, it sort of is, but only because gay visibility is so lacking. But to be honest the fan base that would follow from such a move would be INSANE. All these teen girls love a good same-sex crush, and as long as it isn't expressly seen the wingnuts can only be so offended. And if they're going to boycott ABC they have plenty more reasons than this. Oh well, it will probably never come to pass. As long as the writing improves I won't argue.

1 comment:

test said...

i got a total nosebleed when you mentioned kyle and gay in the same sentence.